The South Side of the Sky
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The end of used game sales in the US?

+2
Snesboy
damkira
6 posters

Go down

The end of used game sales in the US? Empty The end of used game sales in the US?

Post  damkira Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Ninth Circuit appeals court disallows resale of drafting software due to EULA terms; PC, console games come with similar restrictions.

Pre-owned game sales account for a major chunk of GameStop's profits and have other retailers wanting a piece of the pie. However, a decision on Friday by the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit could imperil sales of pre-owned games--or any other software with a particularly worded end-user license agreement (EULA).

The court overturned a May 2008 decision by the US District Court for the Western District of Washington in the case of Vernor v. Autodesk. The original decision stated that Washington resident Timothy Vernor was within his rights to sell a sealed copy of Autodesk's AutoCAD design software he got at a garage sale on eBay.

Though the copy of the software was sealed, Autodesk's EULA--which was not visible externally on the retail box--said that the software is only licensed to purchasers, not actually sold. It also said that the license cannot be transferred, so after purchase, the software had to be destroyed if not used.

The Western Washington court's decision upheld the idea that customers own the software they purchase, commonly referred to as the "You bought it, you own it" principle. The appeals court's decision, however, undermines that idea if the software has "license only" language in its EULA.

Tech blog Ars Technica pointed out that the EULAs used by Electronic Arts and many other publishers have similar language in their games. "This software is licensed to you, not sold," reads EA's EULA. "Access to the software requires software registration with the serial code enclosed with the software. Software registration is limited to one EA Account per serial code and is non-transferable."

The EA EULA is for a PC game, which typically requires acceptance of such terms to play. However, comparable wording can also be found in console game manuals, such as that of Take-Two Interactive's recent hit Red Dead Redemption.

"THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD," reads the license agreement on Red Dead Redemption. (Capital letters in original.) "You agree not to: (a) Commercially exploit the software; (b) Distribute, lease, sell, rent or otherwise transfer the software, or any copies of the software, without the express consent of the licensor." (Emphasis added.)

Inquiries sent to EA and Take-Two about the appeals court's decision were not answered as of press time. However, EA and other publishers have recently taken measures to deter pre-owned game sales, from which they earn no money.

In EA's case, it is enclosing single-use codes in new games to both award extra downloadable content and enable online modes. The latter applies to all of the Redwood City, CA-based company's sports games, which will charge buyers of pre-owned games $10 extra to access online modes. THQ recently adopted a similar model for the online modes for its wrestling and mixed martial arts games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6275683.html

This is just overwhelming greed on the part of software developers and will ONLY lead to an upsurge in piracy. What the fuck is wrong with selling a game that you already bought? Nothing. At. All.
damkira
damkira
Admin

Back to top Go down

The end of used game sales in the US? Empty Re: The end of used game sales in the US?

Post  Snesboy Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Well, I guess I will be torrenting more games than ever now if all this goes through. And it will mean the end of GameStop.
Snesboy
Snesboy
Veteran

Back to top Go down

The end of used game sales in the US? Empty Re: The end of used game sales in the US?

Post  damkira Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Snesboy wrote:Well, I guess I will be torrenting more games than ever now if all this goes through. And it will mean the end of GameStop.

Not necessarily, this ruling will likely get overturned again and probably once more beyond that... also you have to take into account that GameStop always has a much better selection of games than target, best buy, walmart etc. so people will always go there.
damkira
damkira
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  c0n3j0 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Nuuuuuu

That's the only way I can get old games!
c0n3j0
c0n3j0
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Snesboy Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:26 am

c0n3j0 wrote:Nuuuuuu

You could always rock an emulator.
Snesboy
Snesboy
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  damkira Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:47 am

This appears not to have taken effect which is very good because software publishers should have no right to be able to tell you what to do with a game you already bought. Shit.. they should be happy as they've seen much less piracy than other entertainment industries..
damkira
damkira
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xen Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:12 pm

They can try with no avail, too much money is involved here.
The possibility is depressing, though - how can I get PS1/2/Saturn/Genesis/Dreamcast/Gamecube games if they can't be sold used?
Xen
Xen
User

Back to top Go down

Post  c0n3j0 Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Snesboy wrote:

It's not the same >_>
c0n3j0
c0n3j0
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Xen Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 pm

c0n3j0 wrote:
Snesboy wrote:

It's not the same >_>
Yup... original hw > emulation...
Xen
Xen
User

Back to top Go down

Post  zex Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Xen wrote:
c0n3j0 wrote:
Snesboy wrote:

It's not the same >_>

Using an emulator and pirating the game for free >>>>>>> buying the hardware and buying the game
zex
zex
Admin

https://southsky.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Xen Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:15 am

zex wrote:
Xen wrote:
c0n3j0 wrote:
Snesboy wrote:

It's not the same >_>

Using an emulator and pirating the game for free >>>>>>> buying the hardware and buying the game
No, that's BS. It's disrespectful for the game/developers.
Xen
Xen
User

Back to top Go down

Post  zex Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:09 pm

Xen wrote:

I feel so bad for being disrespectful for people I've never met and will never meet either. I cry at night thinking how disrespectful I am Sad
zex
zex
Admin

https://southsky.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Xen Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm

zex wrote:
Xen wrote:

I feel so bad for being disrespectful for people I've never met and will never meet either. I cry at night thinking how disrespectful I am Sad
Then I have succeeded! YES!
Xen
Xen
User

Back to top Go down

Post  KingFate Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm

damkira wrote:This appears not to have taken effect which is very good because software publishers should have no right to be able to tell you what to do with a game you already bought. Shit.. they should be happy as they've seen much less piracy than other entertainment industries..

Yea hopefully they don't try again. I mean used game sales are half the reason the console markets can last so long.
KingFate
KingFate
User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down